NZ police order lockdown amid mosque shooting reports

NZ police order lockdown amid mosque shooting reports

NZ police order lockdown amid mosque shooting reports

Multiple casualties are feared in a "critical incident" early Friday as gunshots were heard near a mosque in New Zealand's east-coast city, global media reported, with the Bangladeshi cricket team narrowly escaping danger.

A number of local schools are also in a state of lockdown as people are urged not to travel within the vicinity of the city centre. One person is in custody, however Police believe there may be other offenders.

"Alhamdulillah Allah save us today while shooting in Christchurch in the mosque", tweeted another player, Mushfiqur Rahim.

Witnesses reported seeing a man dressed in a military-style, camouflage outfit carrying an automatic rifle entering the Masjid Al Noor Mosque in Hagley Park.

The local police have also cleared Cathedral Square, where thousands of children were rallying for action on climate change.

A reporter at the scene said people at the cordon were hugging as they passed through the tape.

New Zealand police said the shooter is still active, according to a report in AFP.

You can receive Breaking News on a smartphone or tablet via the BBC News App.

Mohan Ibn Ibrahim told CNN he was inside the mosque when the shooting began and that he heard the gunman "continuously shooting for ten to 15 minutes".

"There were bodies all over me", he said.

Читайте также: Android Q developer beta is available for all Google Pixel phones

"I spoke to one of them shortly after [the incident]".

All Christchurch schools have been placed into lockdown.

Canterbury Police NZ have tweeted of a critical incident in Deans Avenue, Christchurch.

Lisa Davies, in Christchurch, told the ABC "it's just a continuous stream of sirens".

She says of the people who were attacked, "New Zealand is their home, they should have felt safe here".

"I would describe it as an unprecedented act of violence".

Hussain went into the washroom and saw one man dead outside through the window.

"I heard a big sound of the gun". Nichols said he saw two injured people being carried out on stretchers past his automotive shop and that both people appeared to be alive. "I ran behind the mosque", he told TVNZ.

"The floor. There's lots of blood on the floor, you can see when you go in".

При любом использовании материалов сайта и дочерних проектов, гиперссылка на обязательна.
«» 2007 - 2019 Copyright.
Автоматизированное извлечение информации сайта запрещено.

Код для вставки в блог

Related news