Maryland Basketball: Rutgers or Nebraska the better second round matchup for Terps?

For the second straight game against Michigan State, the Michigan basketball team had a lead in the second half against the Spartans and weren't able to seal the deal.

The run got to 19-4 as Winston continued to take over, scoring on a drive and layup to give Michigan State a 59-52 lead with 7:55 to play.

At the top of the conference tournament will be Michigan State after they topped the rival Wolverines on Saturday.

In the rematch, Winston flipped a game that wasn't going the home team's way.

In the first meeting with MI two weeks ago, Winston set Goins up for 16 points and 11 rebounds with his dribble penetration, while Tillman chipped in 14 points. "We let our tempers get to us a little bit".

Five of Michigan's 13 scholarship players earned postseason honors from the Big Ten, the most in 34 years.

The Wolverines have one of the top defenses in the nation, as MI is giving up just 58.3 points per game this season while holding opponents to 39.9 percent shooting.

"When it was all said and done, the guy that's been scrutinized the most by me and you, Cassius Winston, was unbelievable", Izzo said, according to MSU school newspaper The State News.

Michigan: Charles Matthews, who almost 12 points a game, missed his third straight game. "He just couldn't go".

Michigan State: The first-seeded team will open the conference tournament quarterfinals on Friday afternoon. The Wolverines controlled the game early, but when Michigan State started its decisive 25-4 surge in the second half, Michigan had no answer.

"It's not an excuse", he said.

The Michigan Wolverines celebrate with the trophy after the Wolverines defeated the Wisconsin Badgers to win the Big Ten Basketball Tournament Championship game at Verizon Center on March 12, 2017 in Washington, DC.

A slew of former Spartans attended the game - including Smith, Shawn Respert and Mateen Cleaves - and they were all raving about Winston.

Second chance opportunities kept Michigan State in the game in the first half and they helped put Michigan away in the second. "The legacy continues. We are in good hands".

The Spartans will take on the victor of the 8/9 matchup between IN and Ohio State, with the first quarterfinal of the day Friday set for 12:30 p.m. ET.

Playing as they did against Michigan State tonight is a recipe for disaster come tournament time.

Related news