I'd be 'very, very disappointed' if North Korea's rebuilding rocket site

I'd be 'very, very disappointed' if North Korea's rebuilding rocket site

I'd be 'very, very disappointed' if North Korea's rebuilding rocket site

"It's too early to see", Trump told reporters in the Oval Office Wednesday afternoon (video below), but noted it's a "very nasty problem".

Beyond Parallel, a website run by the Center for Strategic and International Studies think tank, issued a similar assessment of the Tongchang-ri site.

Yonhap reported Tuesday that work was underway to restore part of the Sohae Satellite Launching Station even as Trump met with Kim at a second summit in Hanoi last week. Only a small group of global media handpicked by North Korea witnessed the demolition at the Punggye-ri site.

Jeffrey Lewis of the Middlebury Institute of International Studies told the Post there was ambiguous activity at Sohae as early as February 18, suggesting North Korea "may have known the summit was not going to go well", so preparations were made for a new round of provocations.

"North Korea is pursuing the "rapid rebuilding" of the long-range rocket site at Sohae Launch Facility, according to new commercial imagery and an analysis from the researchers at Beyond Parallel", NBC reported.

North Korea was later banned by the United Nations security council from carrying out the space launches, as some of its technology was similar to that used for intercontinental ballistic missiles, or ICBMs.

In a briefing to parliamentarians this week, Seoul's spy agency said it had detected signs of work at the site.

The 38 North report published Tuesday said the rail-mounted processing building, which is where space launch vehicles are worked on before they're moved to the launch pad, is being reassembled. "We also continued to observe indications of the ongoing use of the reported centrifuge enrichment facility", Amano said.

"Two support cranes are observed at the building, the walls have been erected and a new roof added". After several failures, North Korea successfully launched a satellite from the site in 2012.

"If they're not willing to do it...we'll look at (increasing) those sanctions up, in fact", said National Security Advisor John Bolton.

Impoverished and isolated North Korea conducted its first successful nuclear test in 2006 followed by a string of increasingly successful ICBM launches.

After carrying out the third of its three ICBM launches in late 2017, North Korea claimed to be able to attack the mainland United States with nuclear-armed missiles.

North Korea reportedly has rebuilt structures at a rocket launch site that it had begun to take down past year.

In response, the UN Security Council later banned the North's main exports - coal and other mineral resources, fisheries and textile products - to cut off its access to hard currency.

The news comes after Trump and Kim Jong Un failed to reach an agreement during their denuclearization summit last week in Vietnam. Despite the stalemate, both sides said they were open to further talks.

On Tuesday, a top US official said the United States would look at increasing sanctions against North Korea if Kim did not end his country's nuclear weapons program.

Related news