Over 150 killed in weekend violence around Yemen's Hodeida

Over 150 killed in weekend violence around Yemen's Hodeida

Over 150 killed in weekend violence around Yemen's Hodeida

"Subsequently, coalition air strikes must cease in all populated areas", said Mike Pompeo, US secretary of state, on Wednesday.

In a surprise move, the United States last week called for a ceasefire in Yemen, or a cessation of hostilities within a minimum of 30 days, a deadline that appeared to lead to an escalation in fighting as both sides sought to strengthen their military positions.

An estimated 10,000 people have been killed since the conflict erupted in March 2015, one year after the Shiite Muslim Houthi minority took over Yemen's capital, Sanaa, and toppled the government.

Earlier Sunday, Yemeni officials said more than 150 fighters on both sides had been killed over the weekend amid escalating fighting around the key port city of Hodeida.

The appeal came as fighting intensified in the key rebel-held Red Sea port city of Hodeida, despite growing worldwide pressure to end a conflict that has left the country on the brink of starvation.

The U.S. -Saudi alliance has come under strain in recent weeks following the October 2 kidnapping and murder of Jamal Khashoggi, a U.S. -based Saudi activist who contributed opinion pieces to The Washington Post. "Thirty thousand children in Yemen die every single year of malnutrition as one of the most important underlying causes".

UN refugee agency UNHCR special envoy Angelina Jolie said the worldwide community had been "shamefully slow" and urged the UN Security Council to find a negotiated end to the war.

The UNHCR special envoy, Angelina Jolie, also issued a statement, saying: "As an worldwide community, we have been shamefully slow to act to end the crisis in Yemen".

November 1, 2018 (EIRNS)-The State Department issued a statement yesterday, following up that made by Secretary of State Mike Pompeo on Tuesday, calling for a ceasefire and negotiations in Yemen.

'We call on all parties to get together later this month under the leadership of the United Nations special envoy. and agree on a ceasefire and a road to peace for Yemen, ' he added.

As the Minister for the Middle East, Alistair Burt, the foreign secretary, and prime minister Theresa May made clear last week, a nationwide ceasefire in Yemen will only have an effect on the ground if it is underpinned by a political deal between the conflict parties, the Houthis and the legitimate government of Yemen. He said last week he hoped consultations could restart within a month.

"This must be the first priority as we seek to put in place a longer term solution", he added.

He discussed efforts to resume what a statement from his office described as the "political process".

Working with local Yemeni journalists and munitions experts, CNN has established that the weapon that left dozens of children dead on August 9 was a 500-pound (227 kilogram) laser-guided MK 82 bomb made by Lockheed Martin, one of the top U.S. defense contractors.

Related news