Bourke Street attack: one dead, two injured in Melbourne stabbing attack

Bourke Street attack: one dead, two injured in Melbourne stabbing attack

Bourke Street attack: one dead, two injured in Melbourne stabbing attack

A knife-wielding man has crashed a vehicle on Melbourne's Bourke Street Mall then set it on fire, allegedly stabbed three shoppers, killing one, before being shot by police.

One of them has succumbed to injuries, police said.

The auto burst into flames near the corner of Swanston and Bourke streets about 4.20pm on Friday and while the vehicle was quickly extinguished, reports soon followed of a knife attack.

The man was arrested and taken to hospital in a critical condition, police said.

Police said there was no known link to terrorism.

Footage from the scene shows a man swinging a knife at two uniformed officers near a burning vehicle before he was shot.

A man, believed to be the driver, stabbed three people and was then shot by police.

The two survivors were taken to hospital - one in a suspected critical condition. Their condition is not yet know.

The spokesperson confirmed that one person had died in the stabbing attacks and that the attacker was in hospital. "It's very early in the stages of the investigation", Supt Clayton said.

'The exact circumstances are yet to be determined at this stage.

In a later statement, police said the man assaulted police, fled on foot, then was shot while lunging at police with the knife.

Counter-terror officers have swooped on the scene.

Witnesses described a chaotic scene with an injured pedestrian lying on the ground, and numerous police cars and helicopters flying overhead.

The incident comes as a trial continues into the horrifying rampage in Bourke St in January previous year.

A witness filmed the horrifying scenes as the attacker tried to thrust his knife towards police on Bourke Street.

The buildings surrounding the incident were put into lockdown, and police blocked off sections of Bourke and Swanston streets.

The Victorian premier, Daniel Andrews, urged people to avoid the area.

"I've never seen a fire that big before". Fully engulfed. Multiple loud bangs."This incident in Bourke Street comes on the second day of the highly-publicised murder trial of James Gargasoulas, who allegedly drove through Bourke Street Mall on January 20, 2017, killing six people and injuring 27 others".

Related news