Cristiano Ronaldo left out of Portugal squad for Poland and Scotland games

Cristiano Ronaldo has been left out of the Portugal squad for their upcoming October internationals against Poland and Scotland at his own request.

He was also left out of the squad in September, meaning he has not played for the European champions since their unspectacular appearance at the World Cup in Russian Federation.

Having not had a summer off, the veteran attacker is also aware of the need to manage his body and rest up to perform at his best for Juventus.

"We agreed the player wouldn't be available, wouldn't be an option for selection", Portugal Coach Fernando Santos said, according to the Associated Press.

"I firmly deny the accusations being issued against me".

Kathryn Mayorga, 34, of Las Vegas, accused Ronaldo, in a 32-page lawsuit filed last month with a district court in Nevada, of raping her on June 13, 2009. On Wednesday, he wrote on Twitter that he had a "clear conscious", that he refuses "to feed the media spectacle created by people seeking to promote themselves at my expense" and that he will "await with tranquility the results of any and all investigations".

Ronaldo has denied the allegations, initially calling them "fake, fake news".

Santos said the decision was taken after a three-way conversation between him, Ronaldo and the head of the Portuguese football federation.

Ronaldo also missed Portugal's first two post-World Cup matches last month, with Santos saying then that Ronaldo had only just moved to Italian club Juventus and was still settling down there.

Despite the absence of the 33-year-old, Santos reaffirmed he will remain an integral part of the national team's plans going forward.

The Las Vegas Metro Police Dept. has also reopened the case - though no charges have been brought against the soccer star.

Photos show Mayorga and Ronaldo partying at a Las Vegas hotel that year.

Related news