Obama compares his treatment of the media to Trump's

Obama compares his treatment of the media to Trump's

Obama compares his treatment of the media to Trump's

While Obama has previously been relatively restrained when addressing Trump, the former commander-in-chief questioned the president's much-touted economic success, his agenda at large and his failure to offer a full-throated condemnation of white supremacists.

Obama told an audience of more than a thousand students at the University of IL his successor is "just capitalizing on resentments that politicians have been fanning for years".

Trump was dismissive of Obama's speech. "All we need are decent, honest, hard-working people who are accountable and who have America's best interests at heart".

"It should not be a partisan issue to say that we do not pressure the attorney general or the Federal Bureau of Investigation to use the criminal justice system as a cudgel to punish our political opponents, or to explicitly call on the attorney general to protect members of our own party from prosecution because an election happens to be coming up".

"When you hear how great the economy's doing right now, let's just remember when this recovery started", he said, recalling that he had inherited a risky economic downturn and left office amid a recovery.

At one point referencing the "crazy stuff that's coming out of this White House", Obama told students and others gathered at the University of IL at Urbana-Champaign that even if they don't agree with Democrats on certain issues, they should still be "concerned with our current course" and want to see a "restoration of honesty and decency and lawfulness in government".

But he dropped that political reticence in IL, the state where he launched his own political career, saying a vote against Republicans could restore "honesty and decency and lawfulness" to government.

Obama also highlighted two races in the state's Central Valley, praising venture capitalist Josh Harder in his bid to unseat four-term Republican Jeff Denham, and T J Cox, who is challenging David Valadao in a district where Democrats hold a 17-point advantage in voter registration. "The stakes really are higher".

Trump fired back, saying he went to sleep watching the speech.

He later added: "This is not normal".

Читайте также: Homeless Vet Johnny Bobbitt Will Get His $400,000, GoFundMe Says

"They're not doing us a service by actively promoting 90 percent of the insane stuff that's coming out of this White House, and then saying, 'Don't worry, we're preventing the other 10 percent, '" he said.

Former President Barack Obama compared his treatment of the media to his successor's, calling President Donald Trump out for labeling the press the "enemy of the people".

"I'm sorry, I watched it but I fell asleep", Trump said. "I found he's very good for sleeping". In 2009, the Obama White House claimed that Fox was "not a news organization" and instead "a wing of the Republican Party". "There is actually only one check on bad policy and abuses of power, and that's you and your vote". Obama asked. "Saying that Nazis are bad".

After the speech, Obama travels to California to campaign for more than a half-dozen House Democratic candidates at an event in Orange County.

The speech was expected to be a preview of the argument Obama will make this fall campaign season.

His comments came during a speech at the University of IL at Urbana-Champaign, where he accepted an ethics in government award.

Obama will head to Cleveland on September 13 to campaign for Ohio Democratic gubernatorial nominee Richard Cordray.

Obama's campaign activity will continue through October and will include fundraising appearances, according to an adviser.

Appealing directly to students in attendance, Obama urged young voters to temper their expectations. "Doubling down on that strategy won't work in 2018 either".

Pence said it's "very disappointing" to see Obama break with the tradition of former presidents, who largely shun the campaign trail, and "become so political".

При любом использовании материалов сайта и дочерних проектов, гиперссылка на обязательна.
«» 2007 - 2019 Copyright.
Автоматизированное извлечение информации сайта запрещено.

Код для вставки в блог

Related news