Homeless Vet Johnny Bobbitt Will Get His $400,000, GoFundMe Says

Homeless Vet Johnny Bobbitt Will Get His $400,000, GoFundMe Says

Homeless Vet Johnny Bobbitt Will Get His $400,000, GoFundMe Says

Bobbitt gave McClure money after she ran out of gas past year on I-95 in Philadelphia - an act of kindness that went viral and produced more than $400,000 in donations to a campaign that she and her boyfriend, D'Amico, said they created to help find him a home.

On Thursday, police executed a search warrant at the couple's home, but no charges have been filed, Burlington County Prosecutor Scott A. Coffina said in a statement.

Last week, Bobbitt filed a lawsuit in the Superior Court of New Jersey in Burlington County against McClure and D'Amico, 39, claiming the couple has spent much of the donated funds on personal expenses, including lavish vacations and gambling excursions.

The couple is being sued by Johnny Bobbitt, who spent his last $20 to get gas for the woman, who was stranded on the highway past year.

When they established the GoFundMe campaign, D'Amico, 39, and McClure, 28, told donors they would use the money to buy him a home and set up two trusts to ensure his financial future. McClure and D'Amico, via their lawyer, revealed in court earlier this week that all the money is gone.

"While we assist law enforcement with their ongoing investigation, GoFundMe is also working with Johnny's legal team to ensure he's receiving support while the remaining funds are being recovered", Bobby Whithorne said in a statement. It raised $545,000 for him but he's yet to see all the money.

"Johnny will be made whole and we're committing that he'll get the balance of the funds that he has not yet received or benefited from". Pictured: Mr Bobbitt and Ms McClure.

According Florence Township, New Jersey, police Chief Brian Boldizar, the warrant was for a search of a property belonging to McClure and D'Amico. They have said they used their own money for it.

They added that while they had set up an account for Bobbitt and he had access to the funds, the account didn't include all of the money because they feared he would spend it on drugs.

On Wednesday, Judge Dow ordered Badway to tell clients, who were not in court, that they must appear before her September 14 after giving sworn depositions on what happened to the money at Badway's law office on Monday morning. The gesture quickly went viral, and the campaign raised more than $400,000 for Bobbitt, who at the time was living on the streets and struggling with drug addiction. After GoFundMe's fees, the lawyer said, Bobbitt should have received about $300,000 more.

For the time being, the money will be transferred to an account controlled by Bobbitt's lawyers, but it can not be used until the judge determines who will manage it.

In total, $US402,706 was raised by 14,347 donors during the course of the campaign. A judge gave McClure and D'Amico until September 3 to hand over the remaining funds, according to the Philadelphia Inquirer.

The judge who ordered them to turn over the remainder of the money said the couple must give those funds to their defense lawyer, who must then put it into an escrow account as the case continues, NBC Philadelphia reported.

Chris Fallon, Bobbitt's attorney, also didn't immediately respond Thursday to a request for comment. Christopher Fallon, one of Bobbitt's attorneys, estimated during the court hearing that more than $250,000 should be left.

Related news