First bodies recovered from Philippines landslide in wake of Typhoon Mangkhut

First bodies recovered from Philippines landslide in wake of Typhoon Mangkhut

First bodies recovered from Philippines landslide in wake of Typhoon Mangkhut

Typhoon Mangkhut has progressed into to the south China sea and over Hong Kong, where wind speeds have started to diminish.

A giant wave strikes the coast during Typhoon Mangkhut, Hong Kong, Sept. 16, 2018, in this still image obtained from a social media video.

"I think most guests are understandably concerned about the strength of the storm, but I speak for myself and my family in that we believe we are safe here", said the Guangzhou-based journalist, adding that hotel staff have been very helpful.

Hong Kong weather authorities issued their maximum alert for the storm, which hit the city with gusts of more than 230 kilometers per hour (142 mph) and left over 100 injured, according to government figures.

Mangkhut has now been downgraded to a severe typhoon, having approached the coast as a Category 5 storm - the strongest possible - with winds of up to 269km/h.

In Macau, badly hit by a super typhoon previous year, authorities were much more prepared this time, ordering casinos to close late on Saturday night as the storm approached.

The city's main Victoria Park had become an obstacle course with hundreds of trees down and many completely uprooted. Bus, ferry and rail services were suspended and nearly 900 flights were cancelled at the city's airport, one of the world's busiest.

Two-to-three story high waves surged over the banks of eastern Hong Kong Island, washing away sandbags placed in defense, one local media reported.

More than 250,000 people were affected by the storm across the country, with around half of those seeking shelter in evacuation centers in the country's north. More than 1,000 people sought refuge in 48 temporary shelters.

At least four people were killed in China's southern Guangdong province as a result of Typhoon Mangkhut, Chinese state television has reported.

The mayor said the prospectors claimed Benguet Corp. had granted them permission to work at the abandoned mine. Storms are more likely in the Southeast Asian region.

While the other side of the world was preoccupied with the destructive power of Hurricane Florence as it drenched the Carolinas, Mangkhut hurtled into southern China's city of Taishan, in sprawling, densely populated Guangdong province, making landfall around 5 p.m.

Videos showed glass windows and doors smashing, pedestrians blown off the ground and residents frantically bailing rainwater off their balconies to prevent flooding.

Francis Tolentino, a political adviser to President Rodrigo Duterte, told the BBC that he estimated only a fifth of produce there had been harvested in advance - threatening staples like rice and corn.

Hong Kong's home affairs department said it had opened 48 temporary shelters and was now housing more than 1,200 people displaced by the storm.

After killing 64 people in the Philippines, it struck southeastern China with 100mph winds. Power to some areas could also be reduced as a precaution, say grid operators.

Last year, typhoon Hato, one of the strongest in recent years, pummeled the region, with Macau suffering wide damage and nine deaths, sparking criticism that authorities had not been well prepared.

Related news